Monday, October 4, 2010

October 3, 2010 - Mille Lacs/Kathio State Park
















































































Over the past few years I have seen this as a park that I wanted to visit. As with anything in life, it appears that other things have taken priority. I was excited that I was finally coming here and I was not disappointed. Being a beautiful Sunday afternoon, it was very packed because all of the colors were peaking.

My first trek was to see if my first ascent to the top of a fire tower was a fluke. I circled the tower for awhile, waited patiently as others went up and came down. Took a family picture for a nice family. Finally I decided to overcome my irrational fears and climb the stairs to the top. I got up to the top and had it to myself for about 4 minutes. Then a really nice mother/daughter shared the view from the top with me. We exchanged pictures for each other and talked about the beauty of the view. We decided to leave when we realized that more than the allotted amount of 6-7 people were on their way up. As we were descending we decided that the state park system should devise a system to ensure no more than the optimal amount should climb the tower. When we got to the bottom, we laughed, all realizing that a system could be put in place, but no one would follow it. So much for common sense.

I then took a mile hike down the interpretive trail to get a few good pictures. Hope you like them as much as I do. During my hike, I met a nice couple that a year old cross between a golden, a yellow lab and a poodle. I thought they called it a cockapoo, but don't really remember. Anyway, it was a very pretty dog.

If you want a nice state park within a hour and a half drive from MSP, this is a great choice.

Highway Miles from Home: 77.5
Total Highway Miles this leg: 77.5
Total Highway Miles: 1572.0
Hiking Miles in Mille Lacs/Kathio: 3.0
Total Hiking Miles this leg: 3.0
Total Hiking Miles: 38.3

No comments:

Post a Comment