Monday, October 4, 2010

October 3, 2010 - Savanna Portage State Park








This is still one of my favorite state parks. Today solidified this belief even more. It must be that both times I have been here, my timing was perfect with regards to fall colors.

This time around I did not go to the Interpretive Bog for an opportunity to smell supposedly bear stank. Instead I chose to do a 1 mile hike on Look Lake, a 1/2 mile hike on Savanna Lake and a 1.2 mile hike along the Continental Divide Trail.

All three hikes proved to be colorful. On Loon Lake I met a man who had never been to Savanna Portage. He and his family came up for the day from the Twin Cities. We both commented on how folks are so much friendly up here than down in MSP. He said that he would definitely come up again. The Savanna Lake hike was very short. However it provided me with some great color.

My last trek of the day was to be a short one. The trail post said that hike to the continental divide overlook was 3 tenths of a mile. After reviewing the trail on the map when I returned, I would say that it was more than 6 tenths of a mile one way. But it was worth it.

The last picture on this post is one of my favorites from the past. Canoes, a lake and fall colors.

Beware: When at Savanna Portage, stay away from the stinky Bonita Bear.





Total Miles from Father Hennepin to Savanna Portage: 63.8
Total Miles for this Leg of the trip: 157.8
Total Highway Miles: 1652.3
Hiking Miles at Savanna Portage: 2.7
Total Hiking Miles for this Leg of the trip: 7.2
Total Hiking Miles: 45.0

No comments:

Post a Comment