Saturday, October 2, 2010

September 25, 2010 - Soudan Underground Mine State Park
































My good friend Jim told me about this place and the mine tours. I certainly was looking forward to stepping into an elevator shaft 2300 feet into the ground. But I did and was it ever amazing. Yes, this big, tough guy is not comfortable with cramped spaces either. Being underground was no problem, it was just getting there and back.

Before I went underground, I took a stroll through the park via the West Tower Mine Trail. Although it was short. 0.2 mile, it was awesome. I saw either a mink or a pine martin. I had never seen either before in the past. I also had a great view of Soudan and Tower from the bluff at the western edge of the parking lot.

Before going underground, we watched a movie about the mine, when it started and when it closed. I would tell you all about it, but then it wouldn't be new to you when you visit this park. We got our hardhats and proceeded down to the mine. If you have sensitive ears, I would recommend you bring earplugs. The ride down is very loud.

Once down to level 27, we took at rail car to the last area where ore was being mined. Up a couple dozen steps to the shaft. It is pretty amazing that men did this with only candles in the past.

After coming back down the stairs and taking the rail car back to the elevator, we got a sneak peek of the physics lab. Man that was cool.

During the rail car trip back from the mine site, I met a man and woman from Sweden. This was their first trip to Soudan Mine, but had been to Boundary Waters 3 times now. He runs a mine in Sweden and always wanted to see this one. It was really cool to see someone coming to our state from another country and loving it just as much as I do.

BTW, need to go to Boundary Waters next year. Lived here all my life and never been there. It is a total shame.

Miles from Bear Head Lake to Soudan Mine: 14.2
Total Highway Miles: 579.8
Hiking Miles at Soudan: 0.5
Total Hiking Miles: 19.5
Total Feet Underground: 2341
Total feet in the air: 100 at St. Croix State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment