Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 4, 2010 - Itasca State Park












I finally did it. I stayed at Hostel last night in Itasca State Park. I got there very late due to a long hike at Savanna Portage. Thanks to Sara, the Hostel Manager, she waited up for me to check in.

The hostel was everything and nothing that I expected. I knew that the beds would be small in a dorm style room. I anticipated common rooms for eating, meal prep and hanging out. What I did not expect: no one was there. But then again, it was a Sunday night in October. I was really looking forward to meeting people as part of my hostel experience. Maybe next time.

Being a hostel, they focus on living green. Recycling, minimal appliance use, energy efficient lights and water saving shower heads. They also focus on minimal outside light pollution. Boy, it was great to see ALL of the stars. Need to book a week here during the Perseid Meteor Shower next August.

On to my visit of the park..... As you can imagine, this late in the season, a lot of the park amenities are closed. But that was not a problem for me. Goals were to get a good hike around the lake; look at the fire tower and decide if I wanted to climb it; and go to the headwaters of Mississippi.

I first took a tour of the wilderness drive via automobile. This would have been a great bike ride!! I stopped by the observation tower, walked the 0.6 mile round trip hike to get there and stared at it for about 10 minutes. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad. But there was no way I was going to climb it this time. Thighs ached from 7.2 miles of hiking and a 100 foot climb to the top of observation tower at Mille Lacs Kathio yesterday. I know, chicken!

I then proceeded to the Douglas Lodge area and hiked the Dr. Roberts trail along the east arm of Lake Itasca. This two mile loop is easy and provides you with limited clear views of the lake. I still enjoyed it just the same. Nice getting out early on a Monday, no humans around to provide noise pollution with loud yells. (see below at the headwaters)

I then decided to check out the visitor center. This center was very nice. Good interpretive information and even saw a bridal party getting ready for a wedding on the lake. Wedding Crashers came to mind. ;-). But I was on a mission.

The Headwaters of the Mississippi: Got to this visitor center and during my look around, I met David and Rita from Bury St. Edmund, England. See separate blog entry titled "David and Rita".

I hiked the 800 feet down to the headwaters. As I was approaching, I heard a lot of yelling and loud voices, full of excitement. I really expected to see a group of teenagers and much to my surprise it was a group of older women carrying on like a bunch of ninny's. I could tell that several of the other people at the headwaters were also irritated with this commotion at a reverent site. (okay, off the old soap box).

I love this area. I know everyone likes a beginning, but this is the beginning of it all for the Mississippi. I have been here several times with several different people; family, friends and girlfriends, but it never gets old seeing how it all starts. Pictures will do it more justice.

Highway Miles from Savanna Portage to Itasca: 129.3
Total Highway Miles this Leg of Trip: 287.1
Total Highway Miles: 1781.6
Hiking Miles in Itasca: 3.6
Hiking Miles this Leg of Trip: 10.8
Total Hiking Miles: 46.6

No comments:

Post a Comment