Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 4, 2010 - Lake Bemidji State Park





After getting my food at Harmony Co-op, I drove to Lake Bemidji State Park. I stopped by the office to see where I could take a hike after lunch. Amber suggested that I take the short trail to the highest point overlooking the lake. It is about a 1 mile round trip hike. After eating the wonderful soup and hot ambrosia, I took the hike to the point. It was a windy day, so the waves were white capped. I came back to my picnic site and went about a 1/2 mile the other way. I walked over the boat ramp/marina bridge into creek area fed by Osprey Pond.

For hikers, there are a lot of trails throughout the park with varying levels of difficult. In fact, the bog trail is accessible. I had to hold myself back from doing the bog trail. So much diversity of flora and wild life in bogs. Next time.

If you are a biker, the Paul Bunyan State Trail runs on the eastern edge of the park. It runs 110 miles from Brainerd Lakes area up to Lake Bemidji State Park where it becomes the Blue Ox Trail.

I was shuffling my feet through the leaves as you did when you were a kid back to my car. Loved the sound of it, but it was a compelling reminder that I have a lot of raking ahead of me at home.

Total Driving Miles from Itasca to Lake Bemidji: 39.4
Total Driving Miles this Leg of Trip: 326.5
Total Driving Miles: 1821.0
Total Hiking Miles Lake Bemidji: 1.5
Total Hiking Miles this Leg of Trip: 12.3
Total Hiking Miles: 48.1

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog today. I am soon heading up to Lake Bemidji State Park. Have never been there. I love your idea of visiting all the parks. Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete