Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 4, 2010 Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area

























As a Boy Scout, I came up to this area each summer for camp. It was a great time where I learned a lot about life and nature. I even got lost in the woods one evening for a special ceremony. I was able to find my way out using the skills that I learned. Using my topographical map and compass, I was able to find the main trail to get me back to the main camp. Good thing that it was only 200 yards away. 8-)

However, what I found in Cuyuna Country was not what I expected. Don't get me wrong, it was a wonderful surprise. Cuyuna Country represents the open pit mines throughout this area. This pit mines are now filled with water and provide opportunities for trout fishing, hiking and mountain biking.

If you are a mountain biker, this should be paradise for you. I saw tons of trails as I was hiking through the area. After talking with my friend Chris, I also found out that many scuba divers do their open water test here or do dives to the depths of these lakes.

Total Highway Miles from Lake Bemidji to Cuyuna Country: 110.2
Total Highway Miles this Leg of Trip: 436.7
Total Highway Miles: 1931.2
Hiking Miles in Cuyuna Country: 0.5
Total Hiking Miles this Leg of Trip: 12.8
Total Hiking Miles: 48.6

No comments:

Post a Comment