Saturday, October 2, 2010

September 26, 2010 - Zippel Bay State Park
















I was driving up Hwy 72 from Big Bog with the intention of going to Franz Jevne State Park. When I got to the intersection of Hwys 72 and 11, I was to turn right to go to Jevne. However, the road was closed and the detour would have been 160 or more miles. So instead of going that way, I decided that I would go to Zippel Bay first to see if I could get some information.

Talking to the park ranger on duty, she was able to give me a detour to get to Jevne without totally destroying my car and going 160 miles out of the way. (I missed my Jeep Wrangler right at this moment). While talking to the ranger, a local couple that I passed on the way to the park came into the ranger station. They were delivering a bench he made to honor the previous park ranger. It was a beautiful tribute to a person dedicated to making this a great state park. As I was talking to them, I found that the couple and I share a deep affection for my favorite state park. I can't tell you now what park it is, besides I might change my mind before I complete this trip.

The ranger told me to take the trail on the beach to the Zippel Bay channel. I was able to walk along the beach 3/4 of a mile and then took the woods trail back. Made a side trip onto the trail just east of the parking lot for 1/4 of a mile. Nice state park.

Miles from Big Bog to Zippel Bay: 58.8
Total Highway Miles: 894.4
Hiking Miles at Zippel Bay: 2.0
Total Hiking Miles: 27.9

No comments:

Post a Comment