Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 4, 2010 - Itasca Headwaters - David & Rita


When I stopped by the Mary Gibbs Mississippi Headwaters Center to see if they had any cool bumper stickers, I wasn't expecting to meet a charming couple from England. Walking around the gift shop, I overheard a man with a British accent speaking with the cashier. Since I did find something that I liked, I walked up to the register to pay for it.

Naturally, I inserted myself into the conversation to learn more. I found out that David and Mary were traveling the Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and Minnesota area for 4 weeks. (Okay, commentary on the way: What the heck do the European folks do that they get 4, 5, 6 weeks at a time to go on vacation. corporate america would get rid of you if you even considered a 2 week vacation)

They flew into Chicago and went to Milwaukee. Since I love this city, I wanted to hear more. They said they were downtown talking to a man and he suggested they visit the Safe House. I had a smile on my face since I have been there and it is a must do. Because many people have not been there, I cannot tell you the rest of their story at The Safe House. But go, you won't regret it. ;-)

We talked a little more and I went on my way to the Headwaters of the Mississippi. I ran into David and Rita again down at the headwaters. We talked between shots and I found that they have been to the USA several times in the past seeing Mesa Verde, Estes Park, Seattle, Grand Canyon and many other national treasures in the country. I could ramble on forever about our conversation, but I won't. Hoping to meet up with David and Rita when I go to England. I really encouraged them to visit Minneapolis next time they are in Minnesota. They said they would consider it.

I have a quick snapshot I took of David crossing the Mississippi. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment