Friday, October 1, 2010

September 22, 2010 - 1st Day wrap up










This was a great day. Exhausted after 203.7 miles of driving and 7.3 miles of hiking, but very much worth it. I am still learning how to do this, so forgive me for putting all the pictures I previously mentioned on this entry.

I am including a recipe for some homemade granola bars that made for the trip. Knowing myself, once I got going on this trip, food would not be a high priority. So I made some easy things to eat that were natural and good for me. The granola bars were one of the snacks that I made.

Homemade Granola Bars

Pre-heat oven to 400 degree

Mix 2 cups oats, 3/4 cup of wheat germ, 1 cup of slivered almonds and 3/4 cup sunflower seeds. Spread on pan and toast for 10 minutes in the oven.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan, add 2/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and salt to taste (I did not put any in, but that is my choice). Bring this mixture to a simmer.

Prepare a large pan with wax paper over it and have another sheet to press down on the granola mixture.

Put the toasted ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add 8 oz. of assorted dried fruits and chocolate, if desired. (I used dried cranberries, pomagranite, blueberries and dark chocolate chips)

Pour the simmering ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix thouroughly. Pour onto the wax paper covered pan and use another sheet of wax paper to press the granola mixture down to about 1/2" thick. (you may want to use pot holders or a cloth towel when you do this as the mixture will be hot).

Let cool for 3 hours and then cut to size desired. Hope you like them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment