Friday, October 1, 2010

September 23, 2010 - Grand Marais, MN

I know this really is not about a state park, but needed to get some soup in me. I am soggy and cold due to the weather. Nothing better than stopping in Grand Marais at the Gunflint Tavern!! I love this place and never had a bad meal.

I thought chicken noodle sounded good, but they had a spicy pumpkin soup, so I had that instead. The soup was fantastic and hit the spot perfectly. It came with a homemade cracker and a Surly Furious...... Well actually, I ordered the Furious, but thought someone might buy my line. Met a Chris and Stephan here and learned about a few hikes that I need to hit in the future. Visit Stephan at www.stephanhoglund.photoshelter.com He is an awesome photographer and makes jewelry too.

Looking at the forecast and knowing that I would be getting back late from my trek up to Grand Portage State Park, I decided to stop by the Grand Marais Visitor Center to find out about a inexpensive motel. Mandy at the center gave me several options and I chose the Gateway Lodge. Simple little place and Geoff, who worked there, gave me a ride downtown later that evening. And even took me to another spot to watch Karoke. I believe the place was called the Birch Terrace Lounge.

I went to the Gunflint Tavern again, I know, explore a little. But they had a singer there at night. Had the Thai Seafood Soup. It was awesome. Met a couple from Mille Lacs area there and he provided plenty of entertainment for those around him. Thanks T. One thing I like about GFT is that cell phones are not allowed. So if you can't be without your cell phone, then don't go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment