Saturday, October 2, 2010

September 25, 2010 - McCarthy Beach State Park



I hadn't heard much about McCarthy Beach. This was going to be a new experience for me. I fell in love with this little park immediately. I stopped in the Visitor's Center to get a heads up on a nice trail to take and was greeted by the park ranger on duty. I could tell that she was very proud of her park and suggested that I take a look at both lakes. She said I should take the trail that starts out in visitor parking lot at the campground along Side Lake and wind my way back to the campground after a loop in the woods. She also suggested that I look at the beach on Sturgeon Lake across the road. She said they are known for this beach.

So I took her advice and found the hike on Side Lake to be very nice. Met a older man in the woods and we talked about the beauty of the area and could tell that he was at peace with himself. As I was returning after the nature loop I found a campsite that I really like and had decided to stay there if the site was not reserved. It was #46 and the actual pad was above the road. It was kind of a penthouse campsite with a view. Unfortunately, it was reserved and I decided to move on.

I did go to Sturgeon Lake beach and it was very nice. I am definitely coming to this park again. Lots of fishing, hiking, biking, horseback riding and of course, laying on the beach in the summer.

It was at McCarthy Beach I noticed and it made me reflect back to the other parks I visited, that people really look you in the eye and smile when you are away from the big city. I went for a hike around Lake Harriett in Minneapolis on September 29th. I passed dozens of folks and only 2 older men said hi to me and looked me in the eye. The other person I said hi to said hi back but seemed shocked I would say hi to him. He hustled away from me. Is this a sign of fear of being mugged, fear of intimacy or just product of what our cities have become? I love the Twin Cities, but people do become this way in larger cities.

Miles from Soudan to McCarthy Beach: 44.1 (took some great backroads!!)
Total Highway Miles: 623.9
Hiking Miles at McCarthy Beach: 1.6
Total Hiking Miles: 21.1

No comments:

Post a Comment